A Clear Choice for Protective Shooting Sports Eyewear
Don’t underestimate the value of optical quality and lens coatings when choosing shooting glasses
WESTWOOD, Mass. (April 28, 2020) – Just because your shooting glasses meet ANSI Z87 impact standards doesn’t automatically make them the best choice for protecting your eyes while at the range, on the sporting clays course or while hunting.
“Acceptable safety eyewear for shooting sports starts with this key certification,” says Honeywell Safety’s Retail Product Marketing Manager, Tony Han, in reference to OSHA’s ANSI Z87 standard. “But a variety of other factors contribute to the overall performance of shooting sports eyewear. Beyond ballistic impact resistance, key performance characteristics like optical quality, lens coatings that perform under the harshest conditions, task-specific lens tints that optimize visual acuity in different situations, and frame designs that contribute to fit and comfort are all things that have helped to make Honeywell’s Uvex® brand the world’s top-selling line of protective eyewear,” Han continues. “We have secured dozens of industry patents for the many technological firsts that improve the protective capabilities, comfort, fit, performance, durability, and look of our products. Of course, these patents and technologies cross over to our Howard LeightTM Shooting Sports Uvex eyewear, which has earned accolades and gratitude from shooting sports enthusiasts around the world.”
Good shooting glasses should sharpen visual acuity, not hamper it. Unfortunately, poor materials, engineering or production methods can result in shooting glasses with compromised optical quality.
“Poor optical quality can result in visual distortion, lack of visual clarity or a narrowed field of view,” says Han. “Similar to putting on a pair of eyeglasses that are the wrong prescription, these conditions can cause the wearer’s eyes to work harder by straining to overcome the distortion, even when the distortion is not immediately apparent. The result can range from a simple reduction in shooting performance to headaches and – even worse – long-term vision damage.”
Unfortunately for consumers, there are no established universal standards that regulate the optical quality of safety eyewear, so shooting sports enthusiasts are well-served to choose their safety eyewear from a reputable and well-established manufacturer. Howard Leight Shooting Sports Uvex eyewear offers superior optical clarity derived from quality materials and decades of documented excellence in engineering and production.
Available with amber, espresso, vermillion, clear or clear HydroShield lenses, Uvex Genesis shooting sports eyewear goes beyond ANSI Z87+ standards and meets U.S. Military Vo ballistic test standards for impact resistance.
Lens scratches and fogging can create obvious and immediate problems – including legitimate safety concerns – in any shooting environment. Uvex lens coatings offer proven solutions to these common problems.
• Standard on a variety of Howard Leight Shooting Sports Uvex safety glasses, Ultra-dura® anti-scratch hard coat is one of the toughest anti-scratch optical coatings in the world. Permanently bonded to the lens, it offers unparalleled scratch and chemical resistance.
• Standard on Howard Leight Shooting Sports Mercury and Vapor II models, Uvextreme® anti-fog coating offers superior performance under the most extreme conditions and will not wear off after repeated cleanings.
• Standard on Howard Leight Shooting Sports Acadia and Genesis models, Uvextreme® Plus anti-fog coating provides 10X longer fog-free vision and 2X better anti-scratch protection than most other anti-fog glasses on the market, as well as anti-static and UV protection properties.
• Available on Howard Leight Shooting Sports Genesis and Hypershock safety eyewear models, Uvex HydroShield coating provides a 60X improvement over similar anti-fog products. It delivers consistent anti-fog performance, requires no maintenance and offers 99.9% UVA/UVB protection.
A Pair of Today’s Top Choices
Whether headed to the sporting clays course or into the field to hunt, you want to bring your “A” game. That means having the right gear to support a solid performance, so make sure quality eyewear is included with your cartridges and shotshells.
Howard Leight Shooting Sports offers a complete line of high-quality Uvex safety eyewear for shooters delivering tough, scratch-resistant lenses that meet or exceed rigid ANSI Z787+ high-velocity impact standards, performance, comfort and style with multiple lens-tint options to optimize visual acuity and performance in most shooting environments.
These are glasses designed for the grind. “Uvex Hypershock eyewear delivers the ultimate combination of high-performance protection and aggressive sport-inspired styling,” says Han. The lightweight, wrap-around frame design offers high impact protection, with streamlined padded temples and a molded nosepiece making for a secure, comfortable fit. Six Hypershock models offer a full range of lens tints and Uvextreme Plus lens coating. A seventh new Hypershock model is offered with the HydroShield™ Anti-Fog Coating.
“HydroShield AF provides excellent scratch resistance, while helping to keep lenses fog free up to 60X longer than many other popular anti-fog products,” says Han. “It also offers 99.9-percent protection from harmful UVA and UVB ultraviolet radiation.” This exceptional performance is confirmed by independent lab tests comparing other Uvex anti-fog coated safety glasses using stringent European EN166/168 standards.
HydroShield Anti-Fog Coating is permanently bonded to the lens, which means it needs no reapplication or maintenance. It features dual-action (hydrophilic and hydrophobic) properties, which means moisture is first absorbed by the lens, and once water droplets form, they are repelled to the sides of the lens.
Uvex Hypershock Features
- Wrap-around, matte black frame
- Integrated hinge mechanisms with dual cam action
- Increased coverage, side protection and superior peripheral vision
- Superior, long-lasting, fog-free vision
- Scratch-resistant hardcoat lens
- Ideal for indoor/outdoor environments including hot, humid conditions
- Meets ANSI Z87.1-2015 impact standard
- 99.9 percent UVA/UVB protection
- 100 percent dielectric, meaning you can wear them in environments where accidental exposure to electrical charge is possible
- MSRP: $16.00 (except Model R-02230 with HydroShield Anti-Fog Coating, MSRP: $19.00)
Uvex Hypershock Models and Lens Tints
Model R-02220: Clear Lens; Uvextreme Plus and Anti-Fog Coating
Model R-02221: Amber Lens; Uvextreme Plus and Anti-Fog Coating
Model R-02222: SCT-Reflect 50 Lens; Hardcoat Coating
Model R-02223: Gray Lens; Uvextreme Plus and Anti-Fog Coating
Model R-02224: Red Mirror Lens; Hardcoat Coating
Model R-02225: Blue Mirror Lens; Hardcoat Coating
Model R-02230: Clear Lens; HydroShield Anti-Fog Coating
“Uvex Acadia™ is a bold, sport-inspired line that delivers superior comfort and high-performance protection,” Han says. “The lightweight, 3/4 frame provides increased coverage and is engineered to fit a wide range of work and play demands.” New Acadia models are available in 6 different lens tints with Uvextreme Plus anti-fog lens coating. These sporty, lightweight performers feature soft, molded temple inserts and premium, integrated hinges.
Uvex Acadia Features
- Black, ¾ frame
- Superior, long-lasting, fog-free vision
- Scratch-resistant hard coat lens
- 99.9 percent UVA/UVB protection
- Integrated hinge provides customized fit and temple control
- Soft, molded inserts along temple provide comfortable and secure fit
- MSRP: $17.00
Uvex Acadia Models and Lens Tints
Model R-02214: Clear Lens; Uvextreme Plus and Anti-Fog Coating
Model R-02215: Amber Lens; Uvextreme Plus and Anti-Fog Coating
Model R-02216: SCT-Reflect 50 Lens; Hardcoat Coating
Model R-02217: Gray Lens; Uvextreme Plus and Anti-Fog Coating
Model R-02218: Blue Mirror Lens; Hardcoat Coating
Model R-02219: Red Mirror Lens; Hardcoat Coating
Get ready to improve your game by choosing the clear choice in protective shooting sports eyewear. To see the full lineup of Howard Leight Shooting Sports Uvex eyewear, visit howardleightshootingsports.com.
ABOUT HOWARD LEIGHT BY HONEYWELL
Howard Leight safety products empower individuals and families across the globe to enjoy more and worry less. Our high-quality hearing and eye protection help people more safely enjoy the events and activities they love. Our broad selection of comfortable and stylish protective eyewear delivers safety without compromise. Building on over 30 years of innovation, we’re continually developing new designs, materials and technologies to enhance comfort and protection for industry trade professionals, recreational and competitive shooters, DIY homeowners, and all fans of live music and sporting events. Whatever your passion, trust Howard Leight to block out the noise so you can listen to what’s important, while staying safely focused on the big moments that matter. Learn more at howardleightshootingsports.com.